It’s My Blogiversary! 10 Years in The Blogging Game
Wait a minute, has it really been 10 years!? Wow y’all, it truly has. To be honest when I looked at my calendar I literally forgot that this was my 10th year in blogging. With so much happening in 2020, I completely got distracted and literally forgot! It’s been quite the journey so far, and I have no plans of stopping anytime soon. I absolutely LOVE blogging, and love expressing myself through my online diary.
In a nutshell – because I love to write! Initially, I started as a travel blogger. The blog was called ‘Lemon N Lime’ then it later switched to ‘My African Guitar’ I documented and told stories about my Peace Corps service in Mozambique, Africa. Readers were attracted to my blog because of my ‘no filter’ language – we know this though right? I realized that the only way to really be authentic and transparent, was to keep it real. I received so much positive feedback from my travel blog, that I knew I had to forever continue my blogging journey.
A few months later, I started writing about fashion in addition to travel. My friends would always tell me that I styled cute clothes and had a unique sense of style. I never really considered myself a ‘fashion girl’ but I knew that my style began to have an influence on those around me. Hmmmm I thought….should I blog about fashion too? Why yes…yes I should. And a couple months later – my 2nd blog – NKM Styling was born. The N is for Naa – my first name. The K is for Kwaley – me and my grandmother’s middle name, and the M is for Mark – my mother’s maiden name. I wanted my brand to symbolize strong, beautiful, hard-working and confinement women, so the name came naturally.
I’ve explored all different avenues in fashion, and believe it or not, I’ve got a lot more work to do! I’ve dipped my hands in designing African print clothing mixed with modern, street fashion styles. Designing is literally my favorite part of fashion. I worked with an incredible team in Ghana, and created some of the most beautiful pieces. Since the launch of my last summer kollection, I’ve had so many people ask me when I’ll do another one. I am completely blown away by how much people loved these designs. Ya never know what I’ll bring back in the near future though, aimirte?
I’ve met so many amazing people, attending some of the most amazing fashion shows & events, and traveled to some of the best places – all because I decided to start a blog. I’ve recently had the opportunity to become a brand Ambassador for True Moringa – a vegan skincare line that started in Ghana (my hometown!) – use code NKAY15. And, I’m also a brand a rep for Beyond Beanie – a social fashion brand that empowers artisans and helps children in Bolivia – use code NKAY25
Brand collabs are so important to me and my journey. My goal is to do more collabs with Influencers and major brands ; )
To be honest, after 10 years, I feel like I’m just getting started. I can’t wait to take my blogging career to the next level, and do even more bigger & better things!
In celebration of 10 years in the game, I’m sharing 10 fun facts about me. Ready? Of course you are…
- I am addicted to Ben & Jerry’s cookie dough ice-cream and get SUPER aggy if it’s out of stock and I can’t find it!
- I haaaaaaaaate grocery shopping. The idea of walking up and down endless isles looking for food just doesn’t appeal to me at all. I’ve started using delivery services and my life has become so much better!
- I moved to Los Angeles in 2018 and have loved the Cali life ever since! (but don’t get it twisted – I’m an east coast girl for life)
- I speak Portuguese and currently learning Italian – I wanna go to Italy someday…..
- When I’m not blogging about fashion, I sing, write songs, and play the piano.
- Do. not. eat. a. hotdog. near. me. I will literally vomit LOL. Not even kidding. Hotdogs FREAK ME TF OUT.
- I change my hair color and hair style like it’s my job. Some days you may not recognize me.
- I don’t wanna have kids until I’m like 50! I can’t imagine being a mom right now (or at all)…too much to do with my life!
- I loved my experience in high school. Honestly the best 4 years of my life!
- I have a birthmark on the right side of my face that goes down to my neck – nobody notices it.
And that’s 10 facts babe. Here is a bonus fact that you might enjoy – I can name all of the states in alphabetical order in less than 1 minute. Try me!
And lastly, here is a friendly reminder. Part of my journey as a blogger has been helping other amazing bloggers build their own brands through coaching. I wouldn’t be where I am without the help of other creative Influencers, so I make it a point to share my knowledge and resources with upcoming bloggers who are ready to level up their blog. Trust me, when you work with me, you get all of the high energy vibes : )
If you’d like to work with me, start here
For all collab inquiries, please send me a message here
Thank you so much for reading Stylists. I appreciate each and every single one of you. Sending love and light…